After the medical research has leaked, the health hazards of extended sitting and standing desks have emerged as an essential perk for the workplace. Standing desks are also recognized as stand-up desks, and they permit people to stand up securely while they work. You will come across many modern versions, and so, you can change these desks’ height and also alternate between standing and sitting. These desks are also acknowledged as sit-stand desks or height-adjustable desks.
Benefits of standing desks
- Standing does lower a person’s risk of obesity and weight gain – People gain weight because they consume more calories compared to what they burn. And so, when you become successful in burning more calories in comparison to what you take, then it gives rise to weight loss. Though exercise is considered a highly effective method for burning calories, you can also choose to stand rather than sitting.
- Using a standing desk might lessen the levels of your blood sugar – When the stories of your blood sugar increase after you take meals, then it turns bad for your health. In a study done on ten office workers, it has been proved that when people stood for 180 minutes after finishing their lunch, then they could lessen their blood sugar levels by 43 per cent in comparison to sitting for this amount of time.
- Standing might lessen your danger of heart disease – When you stand for a long time, then it turns out to be better for the health of your heart. According to a study, it has been concluded that bus conductors stand the entire day, and so, they end up lessening the danger of heart disease by half. So, when you spend more time standing, then it will do a lot of good for your heart.
- Standing desks also lessen back pain – Most office workers suffer from back pain, and it has turned into one of the widespread complaints. Participants have reported witnessing an augmentation in their lower back pain of nearly 32 per cent after they used standing desks for several weeks.
- Standing desks also lift your levels of energy and mood – Standing desks leave an optimistic effect on a person’s general well-being. When participants used standing desks for a 7-week study, they reported lesser fatigue and stress compared to those who continued to remain seated the whole day at work. Again, 87 per cent of people who used standing desks witnessed an augmentation in their energy and vigour.
- Standing desks might also improve your productivity – Some people believe that standing desks hinder their daily jobs, like typing. But, standing desks do not leave any adverse effect on typing jobs. Additionally, people do not make errors, too, while they type using standing desks. Standing is known to improve energy and mood, and so, when people used standing desks, they end up boosting productivity in place of hindering it.
Components of a standing desk
You will find many devices that will augment your posture when you sit, and so, they make it easier for you to maintain a sedentary environment of work. For making an ideal standing posture, you need to elevate the screen to an eye-level. Again, it would be best if you positioned the keyboard for making it a little downward.
The vital elements of a standing desk are the capability of elevating materials to an eye-level, having an adequate ergonomic tray, and the ease of making adjustments to the height. Though standing desks can be adjusted well, most often, the maximum size continues to be below the level of the eye for most people.
When you sit on a smart desk, your back must be straight, and when you wish to lessen and prevent some unnatural curvature in your upper back, then you should use standing desks that can elevate the screen of your computer, documents, and various other devices to the level of your eye. For your typing job, you must consider the position of the keyboard for improving the health of your arm and wrist. When you have the best tray of an ergonomic keyboard, then you will be able to position your keyboard well. The best tray for an ergonomic keyboard permits people to wrist droop at a little negative angle naturally.